Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The history of Christmas in my family.

                  In my family there are only two holidays that we are together as a family, the first is Thanksgivings and the second is Christmas. Christmas is the holiday we always celebrate at my uncle’s house in Northern California ever since I was a little kid. I always loved going up their to see the snow and the deer. But one year we didn’t go.
            So, I started asking questions about why we stopped going up to my uncle’s house, and why we started going up their in the first place. I started talking to my mother and she said “We started going up to your uncle’s home because it was a place for us to get away.” I took that into consideration but I got more curious, so I went to talk to my aunt. And she told me “It was the one place we could all agree on to meet and see each other yearly.” Her answer gave me a little more clarity but I am a really curious person so I finally went to my oldest cousin. She told me “The adults in the family had a meeting about where was it easier for our grandmother to come down for Christmas. They thought it would be good for her to go to L.A but realized the air was hard for her to breathe through. So they decide my dad’s house was the best place to go to.” When my cousin told me the story it really clicks inside my head. But I still had the other question burning inside of me.
         I ask my cousin why we stopped going to my uncle’s house for Christmas but she couldn’t really tell me much. She said “you should ask your mom.” I asked my mother why we stopped going to my uncle’s house for Christmas and she said “We stopped going because finances started to run low.” I knew she was telling the truth because everyday the Stock Market was going down everyday, but I knew their was more to it. I was trying to think of another person I could talk to about the question.
           The only person I thought who could answer the question truly was my older brother. He said “The main reason we stopped going to Uncle Owens’s house for Christmas was because he was having marriage problems.” With that answer I realized it to because my uncle and his latest wife were having trouble when ever we went up their, but I never really paid attention.
             I went through a lot of my family’s elders to find out questions about my family. I found out why we started to celebrate Christmas at my uncle’s house. It’s mainly because one year my grand mother came to the states, and Northern California seemed healthier for her. And the second question I found the answer to was why we stopped going to his house. The answer is mainly because of the economy and because of my uncle’s marriage disputes with his wife.
                    Overall I learned so many things about my family. I learned that this year the elders of the family are trying to choose a place to celebrate Christmas at. And I also learned that the elders are very easy to talk to in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment