Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Memoir Prompt: People often say “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Describe a time when you misjudged someone based on his or her appearance or when someone misjudged you.

     Growing up my mother always taught me that you should never judge someone on their appearance but on how they act around. I never thought I would have been put into an adult situation so young in my childhood. I with my older brother visiting my uncle and aunt for spring break in sixth grade. My uncle had just moved to an all white community in northern California.  My aunt had taken both me and brother and cousins to the mall for some fun while my uncle was at work. I had wondered off to go inside one of my favorite stores at the time which was the Disney store where they had all things which were Disney there.  I was walking through the whole store looking for something to buy when I had a fuzz feeling that someone was watching me while I was shopping. I turned around to see one of the Caucasian workers watching my every move. I quickly ran out of the store in search of my brother and aunt. I told them what happen and my brother said that he wanted to back with me into the store to talk with the person that was watching me.
        We both walked back into the store and found the employee that was watching me. My brother cleared his throat to get the person attention behind the counter. The employee walked over to us asking how they could help us. My brother just came flat out asking the person why they were keeping such a heavy watch on me when I walked into the store alone. The employee answered saying they thought I was going to steel something. My mouth opened wide open staying I would never do such a think. The employee thought I was dressed as a thug. In my mind I thought I was dressed very find. I had on my usual jeans and a hoodie with my chukes teenie shoes. I finally felt the rafted of the words judging and discrimination. I had never been told that I look like a thug before I felt in total shock mode. My brother on the other hand was very furious with the employee. He told the employee a piece of his mind and walked me out of there back to my aunt and cousins. The experienced in the store change my whole out look on life. I grew up in an area where I was used to all different kinds of races and went into the world of discrimination.

1 comment: